Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Every thing evens out in the end

Didion's daughter, as teenager, observes that she seems to be more "unlucky" than her classmates "Most people I know don't even know anyone who died...and just since I've been there I've had a murder and suicide in my family." The girl's father responds that "It all evens out in the end" (p. 271). Didion questions what he meant. Did he mean that we all have our share of good luck and bad luck, or that everyone will have their share of grief eventually? She is surprised to learn that he meant the latter. This passage really bothered me because I worry that he may be right, and I am left waiting for the other shoe to drop. When will I experience my full share of grief. I have been touched by it, but not in the way of that many others I know have.

No comments:

Post a Comment