Friday, May 22, 2009

People who write books shouldn't knock librarians

Each month in American Libraries magazine there is a feature called "How the World Sees Us." In it one might see something like: "In an effort to get a good seat in the sanctuary...I walk next door to the other building. No sooner do I open the door than a woman who looks like a librarian in a jean jumper and shoulder pads unexpectedly leans in and kisses me on the cheek" (p.84).
Of course the magazine would provide a full citation as well!

I read this passage to my colleague in the office next to mine, who happened to be wearing a jean jumper at the time. She assures me that she would never kiss a stranger. To be fair, in an earlier post I mention that when I go to library conferences I often think that we librarians deserve our stereotype (See January 8). I will also admit to having a wide selection of sensible shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment