Friday, May 8, 2009

Freedom of Choice

Jacobs learns that there is a proscribed (Jewish) way to put on shoes: first right, then left, then tie the right, and tied the left. There is no reason for this, other than it allows the shod person to not have to think about it, so he can "concentrate on more important things."
Americans are convinced that more choice is better. I find that there are some people who are stymied by their freedom of choice. Always worried that they didn't get the best product or the best deal. How much worse can second best really be? When we bought our house we needed to have some contractors come in to fix some things before we moved in. I interviewed none of them. Instead I asked my friend Laura who she used, knowing that she had done a lot of work interviewing contractors. Maybe someone was better, or cheaper, but I'll never know and I am quite satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment