Monday, May 11, 2009

Jesus

Jacobs spends most of his year following the Old Testament, but also dips into the New Testament for the last four months. He considers what it means to accept Jesus Christ, but does not go so far as to do it, instead he accepts the moral teachings of Christ, and cites the Unitarians in this. The "Jesus as a righteous dude" brand of religion is probably closest to what I follow. It allows me to masquerade as a Christian because I go to church on Sunday, and celebrate Christmas and Easter. Sometimes this can be beneficial, since a lot of people don't know what UUs are. Some find us rather dangerous. In 2000 I was traveling in Rondonia, Brazil and visited a missionary village. A woman asked me if I was Christian, and did I have a church. The answers are no, and yes. She became very suspicious of me, but eventually composed herself enough to explain that she'd never heard of Unitarian Universalists and asked me to tell her about it. I told her that we followed many religious teachings, including Jesus, the Buddah, and others. She cut me off explaining that that was dangerous and that I needed to read the Bible. She gave me one of hers that said "Good News for Modern Man" and asked me to read Mark, especially. I promised I would, so far I haven't gotten around to it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment