Friday, May 22, 2009

Taking Communion

Cohen has mentioned "prentending" to take communion several times. When I was about 11 years old I attended a Catholic church and took communion. I mentioned it to my sister later who told me never to tell our mother, who apparently freaked out when my sister had done the same thing a few years earlier. In very serious tones my sister explained to me that you can't just take communion, you're supposed to have classes first. I felt like I was going to be arrested, (sort of the same way I felt when I cut the tags off my pillows). To atone for this sin I decided never to take communion again, even when invited, or even if it is in a Unitarian church (some do have this ritual). This caused me to have a fight with my Greek Orthodox high school boyfriend when I attended Christmas eve service with his family in 1981, and has left me to be the only person sitting in the pews on more than one occasion, but I don't care. The trauma my sister left me with is worse than anything of these other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment