Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Potatoes

Does anyone not like potatoes? Minato describes digging up the potatoes from the ground (something which I have had a part in one time, and then got to eat the very potatoes) and then enjoying the cooking of them as much as the eating. Whenever I think about how much I like potatoes I can't help but remember a paragraph my daughter wrote about them in first grade. The assignment was to use as many of her spelling words as she could:
My Mom is making mashed potato casserole. She has to chop cheese. My Dad has to shop for the ingredients. I love it very much. (I think chop, shop, cheese and much were her spelling words for that week. The assignment hung on my refrigerator for years, much longer than any other. The paragraph so lovingly demonstrated how our family worked together to prepare our meal, and also that mashed potato casserole was clearly a comfort food to her. The recipe comes from the More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. It is quite simple to prepare. Mash potatoes, add cooked spinach, sprinkle cheese on top and bake in a casserole dish.

2 comments:

  1. And when I think of potatoes I think of our graduate school mainstay, which we still enjoy: tuna potatoes! Bake a potato and top with butter and pepper. Then add shredded cheese and top with a basic tuna salad. Cheap and nourishing, with the hot potato and cool tuna forming a perfect union!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes remind me of Michael Pollan's "The Botany of Desire" and university accommodation. I love eating potatoes! Mashing potatoes is a traditional bonding experience in my family--especially the debate before the action. We have to sit around and debate whether how natural we want it--do we want some skin or perfectly peeled, mashed to mush or have some lovely lumps, lots of milk or minimal, butter included or no? In childhood my brother and I chose mashed to a pulp, no skin, lots of milk and butter but as we grew we became more accustomed to lumps, skin and some natural taste of potato. We love sitting around peeling and mashing. When my mother is involved, there is always a bit of a food fight to make us all smile. (She is a woman grown outside but inside has kept her child and teenage selves in tact!)

    Apologies for the family history! Seems potatoes reminds me of such things! What a wonderful food source.

    ReplyDelete