Friday, April 10, 2009

Adios, Siesta Lane

Whenever I travel to a developing country I return inspired to pare down and simplify. Minato's book made me feel the same way. She is forced to leave her cabin when the property is sold, and takes the lessons she learned with her.

Of the books I have read so far this year this one had the most poetic prose, it also included quite a few poems, most written by Minato, but others as well. There are also lovely line drawings, by Jan Muir, interspersed throughout the book. Minato's writing is inspired and I quite enjoyed the book. I can't help but notice some irony in the fact that a book about slowing down arrived with a message, highlighted in yellow, that it is a "2 week loan only" which forced me to read the book faster than I might otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment