Friday, April 10, 2009

Flora and Fauna

Minato's time at Siesta Lane allows her time to learn to identify birds and flowers. "Into a poem I'd toss flower names like lilac or narcissus that had literary illusions or nice sounds, but were completely out of context. Since turning my attention to the land, I have learned to distinguish a lanceolat from an ellipical leaf, a damsel fly from a dragonfly, the call of a barn own from that of a great horned." My own yard is beginning to bloom with daffodils and hyacinth, and the crocus are starting to fade. I have my husband, and the previous owners of my house, to thank for the gifts I receive every year in my garden. I have a hard time remembering the names of the flowers from year to year. I try to keep in mind that even if I don't know the name of a particular plant, it is no less beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Smiles. That which we call a rose by NO name would smell as sweet!

    ReplyDelete