Friday, February 6, 2009

Leakin Park

Growing up in Baltimore, everyone knew that Leakin Park was the place where bodies were dumped. Simon devotes about a paragraph to this in the book. What is so fascinating about this is that I-70 was supposed to run through Leakin Park, but it was never completed. I-70 starts in Utah, and goes all the way out to Baltimore, where it stops abruptly at a Park & Ride, rather than connecting with I-95 as planned. It wasn't too long ago that you could see the "ramp to nowhere" when driving through the city. Ironically, the destruction of the parkland was the reason for terminating the project in 1982. I guess there were some really worried people with deep pockets who didn't want that area disturbed!

I don't always rely on Wikipedia for accurate information, but I think in this case there is some pretty good information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70_in_Baltimore,_Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment