Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Flyover land

I mentioned in a previous post that I had been to Iceland many years ago. My family flew Iceland Air to Europe and stopped in Iceland for 3 days. Apparently this stopover thing was a very successful marketing campaign brought to us by an Iceland Air executive. Weiner likens Iceland to Kansas as "flyover" land. Iceland figured out a way to benefit economically by enticing tourists to stay over for a few days. Perhaps Kansas is a state full of happy people, and the rest of the country is just flying over without paying enough attention to it. I have been to Kansas though, and I have not had the same urge to return as I have with Iceland.

1 comment:

  1. Iceland Air still positions itself in the stop-over market between North America and Europe, as is clear from the map on its web site: http://www.icelandair.com/. The airline bills these stopovers as two destinations for the price of one. I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete