Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October is National Information Literacy Awareness Month

I am pleased that President Barak Obama sees the value of the work that librarians do. He has proclaimed October National Information Literacy Awareness Month. Information Literacy is the bulk of my job at Bridgewater State College. BSC is a teaching college, and my job is to teach people to use the library effectively to become lifelong learners. Sometimes I do formal sessions for classes to demonstrate how to do research for a specific assignment, and other times the work is less formal and involves answering questions. It is rare that I will simply look up an answer for someone. I am more likely to show them how to find it themselves. To learn more about information literacy see the webpage from the Association of College and Research Libraries.

October is also
National Book Month
National Medical Librarian Month
International School Library Month
National Reading Group Month
Vegetarian Month (My daughter is a vegetarian)
Adopt a Shelter Dog Month (our dog is a pound dog)
National Family Sexuality Education Month (especially interesting to me because my husband and I just attended the parents meeting for the Our Whole Lives course our daughter will be taking)

There are actually many, many more October celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment